Friday, July 5, 2013

Venice and Austria

From Dubrovnik, we made a quick overnight stop in Zadar. The town revolves around a university so there isn't a great deal to do there. A highlight of our city tour was the Sea Organ, the world’s first pipe organ that’s played by the sea. The Sea Organ is a set of marble steps that descend into the sea. Built inside is a series of 35 steel tubes of various lengths and tilted at various angles. The movement of the waves pushes air through the tubes. Each whistle can create up to 7 different chords of five notes each.

Our accommodation was possibly the most disgusting place I have ever slept at so we decided to head into town. The Champions League final was on that night so we managed to find a bar and watched Barcelona beat Manchester United 3-0. I'm not usually a huge soccer fan but the atmosphere at the bar was crazy it was hard to not get into the game.

Standing in front of the Sea Organ, Zadar


On the way to Venice we drove through Slovenia and stopped off at the Postonja Caves, a 27km underground system 112m in depth. There is a electric cart that takes you part way into the cave, Indiana Jones style! In the caves is a concert hall that is used for musical performances and holds 10,000 spectators.

When we arrived at the camping ground in Venice, there was time for a dip in the pool, a quick sunbake then it was time to wrap myself up in a white sheet and put leaves in my hair for our Toga party. Our Toga party was a combined party with another tour bus which meant there was more travellers to meet. Yagerbombs, dancing, memory loss and a raging hangover made for one of the best nights on tour!

Our Topdeck crew at the Toga Party in Venice

After an hour sleep, I woke up with what I could only describe as the worst hangover of my life. Feeling very sorry for myself but determined not to miss out on the sites of Venice, after a quick shower I jumped on the bus. The city tour was a struggle and I walked around the streets of Venice, shaking and feeling as though I was going to pass out or be sick off the side of the gondola.

Venice is a truly unique city made up of 118 small islands, seperated by canals and linked by 400 bridges. It is easy to get lost down the paved alleyways. Known as the Floating City, Venice is situated on the Adriatic Plate is often prone to flooding. Venice has an extensive history but it's future may not span as long. It has been calculated that the city will sink 20cm every 100 years.

I was particularly intrigued by Venice's sewerage system, which occurs through the canals. Waste is released into the canals and is washed out by the change of tides. This is particularly unsanitary during high tide (also known as acqua alta) when water spills from Venice's canals and onto the streets.

We visited a local lace school to see how the delicate masterpieces are made by talented Venetians. One of the women showed us a piece of lace, similar to the size of a table cloth which took 8 months to make. A gondola ride took us through the endless maze of canals, including the Grand Canal and we finished the day strolling around the city, exploring the local cuisine and art, stopping by the Piazza San Marco and Basilica di San Marco. 

Venice is a hidden gem in the north of Italy and I only wish that I had been in a better state to really take in and admire its beauty.

Looking a little worse for wear on the streets of Venice

Our next stop was Austria and the small town of Tirol. We stayed at a gorgeous bed and breakfast called Cafe-Pension Marliesenhop where we were treated to a home cooked meal and spent the night drinking 2 euro peach schnapps shots and playing card games.

Austrian Alps

The following day I was all set to take on the challenge of paragliding over the Austrian Alps but the weather wasn't so kind to us. I decided to give canyoning a go instead. After getting into our wetsuits, we were given a quick safety brief. Canyoning consisted of abseiling down waterfalls, climbing around rocks and sliding into pludge pools. After we had reached the bottom of the waterfall, we were driven back up to the top of another waterfall, 10m in height in which we were suppose to jump from. I stood at the edge of the waterfall, trying to hype myself up to jump. I really didn't want to do it but thought that I might only get this opportunity once and in I went. Jumping into the waterfall was the most exhilarating experience of my life!

Canyoning in Austria

I instantly fell in love with Austria's charm and can't wait to return to the Alps one day to experience the region in Winter. For now it was back on the bus again and this time we were off to Germany!